Repentance and Forgiveness – Episode #20
In This Episode…
02:24 – Segment 1
- The branches start by discussing what is repentance.
- We speak about changing our mind to realign our thoughts to God’s thoughts and move in that direction. How does this jive with Faith alone?
- Is repentance a one time thing? The Christian life is a repenting life.
- What about God repenting in the Old Testament? How does an unchanging God change His mind?,
11:06 – Segment 2
- How do repentance and forgiveness go together?
- First, we talk about what repentance is not. Then, it starts with a heart overwhelmed by Godly sorrow.
- Unless the spirit of God is present, there can’t be true repentance.
- What if I repent and keep doing the same sin?
- The heart condition is important for true repentance. That’s why repentance comes from God. An unbeliever can’t repent unless God regenerates.
24:41 – Segment 3
- How long does repentance take? Other sins, such as pride, can get in the way of repentance.
- Church discipline is necessary because of unrepentant sin.
- Thomas Watson calls repentance a spiritual medicine made up of six special ingredients.
28:49 – Segment 4
- We move onto forgiveness. No, 70 times 7 doesn’t mean you only have to forgive someone 490 times.
- We discuss the different relationships in which we ask for forgiveness.
- What are the responsibilities of the two people in a moment where forgiveness is being sought.
- What is the person doesn’t ask for forgiveness.
- A picture of what unforgiveness looks like is painted and how it contrasts.
- John C. with the quote of the day, “The ultimate purpose of forgiveness is to heal the relationship.”
- Forgiveness with non believers and does forgiveness mean putting yourself in a bad position?
- A good picture of the forgiveness process is shown in Lysa TerKeurst’s relationship and divorce with her husband.
Scripture Discussed in the Show
- Acts 2:38 Episode Verse
- Ephesians 4
- Matthew 6:14
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
- Matthew 5:23
Resources We Mentioned in the Show
- ”Doctrine of Repentance” by Thomas Watson
Visit us and give us a ‘like’ on our Facebook page!
Episode Length 44:53
Thanks so much for tuning in. Join us again next week for another episode!
- You can leave us a comment below!
Thanks for listening!