Dear JD Hall Critics

I have a friend, who will see this, who sincerely believes JD Hall needs to get saved. Now, obviously, I believe JD Hall IS saved. Unlike most other folks, here’s my line of reasoning:

Trinity? Check: more so than 99% of all believers I know
All Aspects of Christology? Check
Virgin Birth? Check
Death, Burial, Resurrection of Jesus? Check
Biblical inspiration? Check
Scriptural sufficiency? Check
Biblical inerrancy? Bonus check!
Second coming? Check
Final judgment? Check
Absolute necessity of God’s grace in salvation? Check
Substitutionary atonement? Check
Justification by faith alone? Check

At this point I have to say, “That covers it–or at least it covered it for the Apostles.” Ah, but wait, someone says, that’s not nearly enough! We need to see if there are any contradictions in there! He’s abrasive (some might say he’s not pastoral), so he’s not qualified to be a pastor, for example! I definitely see an issue there—and JD is not ignorant of it, and would reply that he does not believe online tone or rhetoric as perceived by critics is a biblical qualification that the pastoral epistles mention or address as disqualifying factors for pastoral or polemics ministry.  Do I agree with these distinctions? No, yet I do understand the criticisms.

If I did not have a personal relationship with JD, and all I knew of him was his online persona, I might even agree with his critics. The problem is that JD’s loudest critics DO know him, and yet disregard all past ministry partnership and experience (speaking at JD’s conferences, for example, or inviting JD on their online radio show).  In fact, some of his critics loved him when they thought he was their personal polemics pit bull, sicking him on their OWN critics. Does that give me the right to overthrow the above affirmations? NO.

But; his critics say, he attacks those he agrees with theologically most harshly, don’t you think that is reason enough to throw him out of the camp? I don’t, and as much as I believe we honor God by believing all of His truth *consistently,* I find nothing more repulsive than those who wrap themselves in their reformed doctrine as a way to excuse doing something stupid or sinful.

That’s how men like Mark Driscoll, Timothy Keller, and John Piper got a pass for so long on the heretical doctrines or behaviors they introduced to modern evangelicalism. That is downgrade by its very definition.   Many look down their noses at JD and other discernment ministries proclaiming, “Off with you to the flames, you non-elect!” JD has set a standard, I believe , in honestly addressing polemics and discernment issues in the confines of brotherly commitment to the glory of Christ, the integrity of the gospel, and the inspiration of Scripture. But…he attacked James White!

Surely that is enough to cast anyone into hell! I wonder if folks think through such statements. I wish JD had not done that—I think maybe sometimes he wishes he had not done that either—after all, it would have been easy to sit back and be quiet while White allowed Michael Brown to excuse and promote the NAR on his podcast, avoiding the bullets sure to come from his personal YRR screenshot army, but when you stand back and look at the list above and go, “Yep, all that—irrelevant—White is enough,” doesn’t it follow that you just made White more important than everything else in that list? Ever thought of that? Most haven’t.

Unity is, in fact, based upon truth. But it is not based upon walking in lockstep with the narrow vision of one particular group or viewpoint. JD and I are going to partner in; Lord willing, several ministry endeavors together in 2018. I look forward to it. We might have some disagreements. But since we will be on the same podcast network we will be on the very same page, just as we were when we were at the NorCal Fire conference open air preaching to the lost (as Hyper-Calvinists tend to do).  Unlike certain folks, I’ve prayed with Jordan Hall, and I know his heart for the gospel and missions and our common Lord. So I will continue to partner with him in defense of the truth, and continue to minister with him in the pursuit of unity based upon the inspired Scriptures we both love as well.

You may have just read the above paragraphs thinking that it all sounds familiar. That’s because if you follow James White on Facebook, you realize that I just took his post from December 9, removed Michael Brown’s name, and replaced it with Jordan Hall’s name. I also changed some of the details of our ministry partnership to make what should be an obvious point. That is, that by using Dr. James White’s standard of orthodoxy, there is no theological reason for anyone to separate from JD Hall, Pulpit & Pen, or the Polemics report. Thank you for reading.

Contributed Len Pettis & Tim Hurd

1. Jim Sarco 2 months ago

Jd’s content is shart shot fart whizz and barf spit. Don’t read his trash or listen to his vomit. His message is one of fart flatulence and poo-spit. Bye bye.

Tim Hurd 2 months ago

Thank you for your fantastically articulate critique.

• Jim Sarco 2 weeks ago

Actually I reread all of jds writing and listened to all of his audio. His theological insights are inspired. I will honor him the rest of my days!

2. Julie 2 months ago

Tim, thank you for being sober and balanced. Too many when they are addressing these things are giggling like teenagers and/or joking around. I can’t imagine the apostles doing this. The elders among us are meant to be sober with all that entails.

I agree with those who have made the point that hallmark card “love” is not what the Bible has called us to and certainly not when it comes to false teachers and their false doctrine. The Bible uses the harshest terms when speaking of them and they were not “loved on” but rebuked, harshly rebuked by the Lord Jesus Christ and the apostles.

3. Justin Gardner 2 months ago

I love how people put the bible at odds with itself when it comes to how Paul speaks of being with brothers and sisters and how Christ dealt with NON-believers in sin. Totally great to see people know how to do biblical theology, oh wait…

• ToniB 2 months ago

Great post Mike Yonce. The church has forgotten that Jesus and His disciples made it clear that we are at war for the truth…WAR! And war is never pleasant. Scripture also makes clear that this WAR is often times waged in the church among professing churchmen.
      “But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies” 2 Peter 2:1
      NAR theology is destructive heresy. And there are countless testimonies of the heartache of this deception for many whom the Lord has delivered out of it.

4. Mike Yonce 2 months ago

I have to wonder if some people in Jesus day were concerned with His verbal tone when he addressed the Pharisees in Matthew chapter 23. Or perhaps some were not happy with the tone of His actions in John chapter 2 and again in Matthew chapter 21, both times in the temple, of all places. And in Galatians chapter 2 when Paul rebuked Peter to his face in the presence of all, I wonder if someone took Paul aside and said, “Paul, that was rude and crude. Why didn’t you take Peter off into a corner and treat him with brotherly love, gentleness, and kindness, rather than making such a big scene?” And in Galatians chapter 3 Paul called them foolish and asked who had bewitched them; not a very kind way to speak to his brothers in Christ. Or in 2 Timothy 4 when Paul states that Demas loved this present world and had deserted him. Surely Paul wasn’t judging Demas’ heart, was he? I think that is enough examples.

1 Cor 13 is certainly in the bible, as are many other scriptures that tell us how we are to treat our brothers and sisters. And they are to be obeyed. Yet they aren’t the only scriptures and the only principles to be applied, there are others. In a practical sense think of this. You’re out in the yard and you turn around and little Johnny has wondered out in the street, so you firmly tell him to get back in the yard. But he doesn’t listen so this time you start approaching him and more firmly and loudly tell him to get back in the yard. Johnny still doesn’t listen, and by now a car is coming down the street. So now you’re running towards him and screaming at him to get back in the yard there’s a car coming. Well, the spiritual situation at hand is very serious and getting worse day by day; it’s time for many to do some rather loud yelling.

Sadly many would rather shoot the messenger than to listen to the message, because they don’t want to hear it. Another illustration; a cop is writing a ticket for someone who has illegally parked. 100 feet away a man puts a bullet into another man. The cop looks to see what happened, but then goes back to finish writing the ticket. Something seem wrong here?

Neither MB nor JW want to face the truth. MB is the apostle of obfuscation, with the job of running interference for his team. JW doesn’t want to do his research, and indeed won’t, perhaps because of where it will lead, and the emperor will then have no clothes. Many godly men and women have spent countless hours researching and following the hyper-charismatics/NAR/NOLR/Word of Faith/etc. movement and know how heretical and in many ways blasphemous it is. And I am so, so thankful for them. I was in a Pentecostal church for about 21 years, and I have spent thousands of hours over the last 7 years learning about the false movements and false teachers in the church. Exposing these wolves is a very high calling, and I am thankful for JD, Justin Peters, Chris Rosebrough, John MacArthur, Phil Johnson, Churchwatch Central, BTMN, and a wonderful host of others willing to take a vital stand. Could the tone of some be better at times, yes. But yet are we not willing to see the forest, because of the trees in the way?

Grace and peace.

5. Justin Gardner 2 months ago

This article does a great job I would say at bringing attention to one key difference when one reflects on it on JD vs MB.

JD fits the very definition the bible gives in 1 Cor 13 of a clanging cymbal. The very end of that chapter laying out what so many continue to tell JD he doesnt do, give correction in love.

The people are the tone police, God is through Paul. So if people dont like it, deal with the text.

6. John 2 months ago

Wow, BTWN, you guys have proven me wrong. I had a wrong idea of you guys mostly because of my view of Dr.White. He is a great man and an awesome scholar, but now, I am beginning to see how unfairly he treats those he disagrees with. He has lumped all the Clarkians into a “hyper calvinist group” and now even JD Hall is hyper calvinist Him, out of all people, should be careful not to use the “hyper-calvinist” phrase so freely since people have used that against him. I have loved Gordon Clark since the beginning of my conversion, and I put up with Dr.White’s false representation of John Robbins and Clark because it was their own personal experiences with each other. I even put up with his take on Yashir Qhadi. But then, flags kept popping up like him defending Hank H, being snarky with some of his opponents, and now this defense of Michael Brown. I have issues with some of JD’s stuff, but I still pray and love his work. May the Lord give you guys wisdom and grace and boldness to keep moving forward!

7. ToniB 2 months ago

Good post. After an experience of blatant false teaching in a so-called sound denomination I began to research what is going on in the church- I could not have been prepared for what I found. I would spend months grappling with one question: How did we get here? so far removed from scripture and truth? As I struggled with this question I began to notice the “approach” to false theology of so many so-called sound pastors and teachers and BINGO! A clear picture began to emerge…subtle error in small doses tolerated by church leaders all under the banner of “non-essentials”. In John Robbins’ excellent book, The Church Effeminate, the matter of non essentials is superbly addressed in chapter two titled “The Apostolic Church,” by Thomas Witherow. I am deeply burdened for the church and believe the soft, “can’t we all just get along” approach to error has wreaked havoc on truth. I say all this to say that perhaps it is more JD Hall style polemics that is needed, not less.

8. Michael 2 months ago

Justin Gardner—- “love for one another” includes warning and, when necessary, calling out one another when one wanders in to error (or dives head-first into the heresy pool).

• Justin Gardner 2 months ago

Galatians 6:1 does NOT describe JD. He needs to repent of that.

9. julie MILLAM 2 months ago

Justin Gardner- Thats a bold face lie. Repent.

• Justin Gardner 2 months ago

Sorry, but the fruit doesn’t lie. He displays no love in the way he gives correction.

10. Mike Lawrence 2 months ago

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,  idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,  envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do[b] such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Works of the flesh- specifically strife, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisons, (possibly envy and jealousy) check.
    Fruit of the Spirit- specifically peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self control- definitely no check.

These would be evident in Mr. Hall’s public GoPro “discernment” of a heretical preacher as well, even if for some reason he thinks its okay to be hateful online and doesn’t count as fruit of the spirit. I don’t really care what James White logic is on the matter. I do care; however, about what the Bible says….

…. “correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,”

11. Justin Gardner 2 months ago

John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Ouch… no check

12. Adam Moritz 2 months ago

Loved the twist ending!

13. Mike Yonce 2 months ago

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander? Yes

Tim Hurd 2 months ago

Quack (or what ever notice a goose makes)