Andy Stanley and Antinomianism

Andy Stanley and Antinomianism Summary: On today’s episode, JD takes Andy Stanley to task for unabashed antinomianism in “Relevant” Magazine. He explains God’s Law and how it is to be understood

Video of this episode:

Hear More Archived Episodes of The Pulpit & Pen Daily Updates & Polemics Report – HERE

Visit JD Hall’s Polemics Report Page – HERE

Visit JD Hall’s Pulpit and Pen Page – HERE

Check Out Other BTWN podcasts – HERE

1. A.L. 3 months ago

Good Morning Beccaj,

Enjoy your Lord’s Day this Sunday and may you be immensely blessed by God now and forevermore. I look forward to meeting you in glory. Take care friend.

A.L.

2. beccaj 3 months ago

A.L.

You’re imposing assumptions on God’s Word, it’s plain eisegesis, pointing out the word “trinity” doesn’t help you. God simply commanded Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and Adam flouted God’s Word. Proverbs 30:5-6; Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:18-19 are commandments as well; oh the irony. To teach, among other things, that “God made a covenant of works with Adam…etc…etc… etc…” is not to teach God’s Word but to disobey God’s Word and that’s what Andy Stanley does. And, when it’s brought to his attention, he apparently has the same attitude you seem to have; it’s no big deal.

• A.L. 3 months ago

Good Morning Beccaj,

I see your point and you have missed mine. I am not doing what Andy is doing and to say I am is over the top and calling me a heretic. I don’t think you mean to do that. I follow and believe all scripture as II Tim 3:16 says. I regard it all. If I or someone else gets a little off or confused it does not necessarily rise to the level of heresy. We all see dimly, but when we see him we will know him fully. I believe in Jesus Christ and the only begotten of God and man’s only hope for salvation. He died, was buried, and was raised on the 3rd day. He ever lives to intercede for me and His other children and He is coming back to judge the quick and the dead. Some will reign with Him others will not. He was the propitiation for my sins and God’s wrath was poured out on Him and God showed He accepted His sacrifice by raising Him from the dead. Jesus said it was finished. My hope is in Him not whether or not I use the word covenant correctly each time I use it. Jesus is patient and accepting of us who believe in Him. He patiently and graciously corrected his disciples while on earth when they misunderstood a truth and when they sinned. We all need to be careful about harshly judging each other as our Lord taught in Matt 7. Hope you have a great day and blessing this coming Lord’s day. Peace. A.L.

• beccaj 3 months ago

A.L.

The thought of you being a heretic never entered my mind A.L., and I didn’t miss your point, I addressed it in my initial comment. Again, you cannot correct the un-Biblical (to say the least) teachings of Andy Stanley with like errors of your own, which, it appears, you are now making excuses for. For you to teach, among other things, that “God made a covenant of works with Adam…etc…etc…etc…” is to do the same thing Andy Stanley does. He’s just much further down the slope; “when . . . reason has been exalted above revelation, and made the exponent of revelation, all kinds of errors and mischiefs have been the result.” (Robert Shindler). The Holy Bible does not say, “Do not add to His words to the level of heresy…” Proverbs 30:5-6; Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:18-19 are absolute, and like all of Scripture, absolute Authority. If they are not kept, upheld and honored II Tim 3:16 is made of no effect. You may believe you, “follow and believe all scripture as II Tim 3:16 says” and “regard it all” yet, how can you honestly make that claim in light of those Scriptures and while your own theological system violates them? This is not about whether or not you “use the word covenant correctly each time you use it”—you’re minimizing. It’s about the fact that you (and many others) adhere to and teach certain theology derived from the process of altering and ignoring God’s Word, and, yet you want others to hear you calling out Andy Stanley who adheres to and teaches theology derived from the process of altering and ignoring God’s Word. Unless Christian men abide in and teach only God’s Word any judgments they make can only be voiced in hypocrisy.

“The word of God is the only competent authority. It is not the Church, or the doctors, or the fathers, or the brothers. It is the voice of God. Let us hear this and follow it. . . How am I to know that I am in my right position, and pursuing my right path? By having competent authority, even a “Thus saith the Lord” for everything. Nothing but this will stand amid the shiftings and shuntings and dark sidings of Christendom; and in the face of ten thousand blind guides and incompetent authorities. In one concluding sentence, The word of God is the only basis of my individual peace, and the only authority for my individual path.”

3. beccaj 3 months ago

While so much more could be said, the so called “covenant of works” that God supposedly made with Adam cannot be found in, or supported by, Scripture. You cannot correct the un-Biblical (to say the least) teachings of Andy Stanley with like errors of your own. “Do not add to His words…” Proverbs 30:5-6; Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Revelation 22:18-19.

• A.L. 3 months ago

Hello Beccaj,

Although the scriptures do not say verbatim “covenant of works” in Genesis, God did promise that Adam would die if he ate of the fruit. We know that the scriptures do not use the term trinity to describe The Godhead, but the idea is there. I don’t think it is an issue to take up or a hill to die on. The main focus and purpose of the podcast was to expose Andy Stanley for the heretic he is. That is the take away. He should be marked and avoided since he speaks against II Tim3:16.