“David Platt Despised Being At The G3 Conference”

There was a big dust up before the G3 Conference this year because a few Social Justice proponents were not only in attendance but billed as keynote speakers.

This matters because of the “Dallas Statement”.

The Dallas Statement lays out what many – including its drafters and signers – believe to be grievous errors that represent, as MacArthur himself phrased it, “the most subtle and dangerous threats so far”.

2019 G3 attendees noted that Piper, Dever & Platt “knew they were among people who disagreed with them. ” and stated that they “avoided most of the crowd”

Apparently David Platt “did his crying routine and booked” (see comment below by Fred Butler)

It is extremely troubling to me that after carefully crafting a statement identifying one of the most dangerous false teachings of our time that these men were allowed to share a platform with many of the original signers and authors of the Dallas Statement at the G3 conference.

Platt, Dever & Piper should feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed.

Tragically this mind numbing lack of wisdom will be repeated at the 2019 Shepherds Conference when social justice champions Albert Mohler, Mark Dever & Ligon Duncan are scheduled to speak.

I like biblical truths. I hate false teaching. We all do right?

I like when false teaching is identified and avoided. I like when biblical teaching is heralded.

When godly men I look up to identified false teaching yet stand shoulder to shoulder with those who embrace it I am very concerned and disappointed.

Read more about the problems of social justice – HERE

Listen to podcasts about the dangers of social justice – HERE

Watch David Platt host a “Social Justice” discussion.

Watch David Platt host a “social justice” discussion

BibleThumpingWingnut

Hosts Tim and Len are a couple of regular guys who started their ministries on YouTube making videos defending the faith and dismantling the arguments of atheism, skepticism, cults and radical unbelief. The Bible Thumping Wingnut Podcast started April 1st of 2014 to encourage Christians to engage in apologetics, evangelism and polemics, and to equip them with the tools and resources to do so to the Glory of God.
  1. JM 11 months ago

Butler loves his “me” time with his celebrity pastors. Sounds like a spoiled whining little girl. SOROS? really? U sound like infowars. Ugh!

2. Jim Sarco 11 months ago

Tim, will you reply to josh? Probably not as you are a stupid person full of idiotic and dumb ideas worthy of the garb age dump. Delet e this site and throw it in the trash, ok? It is fart, shart, shat, poo, crap, garbage, whizz and puke-barf. Got it?

3. A.L. 11 months ago

Mr. Anyabwile should step down as a pastor and if Mr. Platt is a Pastor he should too. They are not true ministers of the gospel but social activitists. Same goes for the gemtleman on the end getting accolades from the audience. They are not about the gospel and the things above, but preoccupied with earthly things. If the churches where these men serve do not remove then then the same is said about the congregation. Can we just stop listening to these men? They belong with Jim Wallis and John Perkins (dear friend of JMac who recently stated on GTY that God was still blessing his ministry). The Gospel Coalition shouldn’t even exist since the church is the ground and pillar of truth not para-church organizations. Man always want to control and be controlled. Thousands of Pastors listen to these folks and then regurgitate it to their congregations. We want an evangelical Vatican which is crazy. Many years ago I knew Tim Keller was not right based on that nonsense book he wrote called Counterfeit God’s. A few pages in and I had to stop because of its foolishness. He had a thesis and was making scripture support it rather than let scripture critique his thesis. I also was surprised at how so many men could get together the form a coalition to advance the gospel, but yet didn’t agree enough to worship within the same denominations. I saw then as an ecumenical outfit. The local church is to advance the gospel. Christ gave us a church not a coalition. That is the problem in my view. Stop listening to these fools pastors and stay on your knees and in the scriptures. God will guide you. Stop feeding us The Gospel Coalition’s teaching. We want our Pastor’s teaching. The Gospel Coalition is accountable to no one but themselves. The pastors are accountable to Christ and the local church where people know them and have skin in the game. We see their lives and they see ours. Its intimate. Shepherds and sheep walk together. TGC, T4G, G3, and whatever other acronym is entertainment. There I said it. It is an opportunity for people to sit and listen to people they don’t know and be in their presence. Hope to shake their hand and get a selfie. I am sick of it.

4. Mike Yonce 11 months ago

“Neither of the three men you criticized in this article are heretics.” Well, here’s the problem. Some of the people in the SJ movement ARE heretics, it just comes down to discerning who has crossed that line, and many have. Social Justice IS a gospel issue, in a negative way; that is it confuses, distorts, weakens, and is in the process of destroying the true gospel everywhere it goes. Historically how many denominations, churches, and individuals has this issue (SJ) destroyed? Heresy biblically is also more than denying and opposing the cardinal tenets of the faith: the character and nature of God, the gospel, the basic elements of eschatology such as Christ returning, eternal reward and punishment, new heavens and earth, etc. Everyone seems to be ignoring Titus 3:10-11: Reject a factious man after a first and second warning, knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned. (NASB)

Other bible versions use the words “heretic,” “sectarian,” and “divisive,” along with several others. In recent years has there been a more divisive, destructive, and pain causing issue, and its proponents, than social justice? Nearly a year ago this was like a Pearl Harbor in the church. The damage done is incalculable. So now I would suggest that now, nearly a year latter, we have had plenty of time to get definitions in place, hear each other out, search the scriptures, and determine where each of us stand on this issue. But remember, IT IS NOT OUR SIDE WHO CAUSED THIS DIVISION.

I have yet to hear of any SJW repenting, however the number of them doubling down is incredible. So, does Titus 3:10-11 matter or not??? The Dallas Statement, many sermons, blog post, articles, Facebook posts, Twitter posts, books, etc. have been very helpful. But, the time has come for scripture to be obeyed, and time for our leaders to publicly name names calling for repentance, face to face even (Gal2:11). In other words, put up or shut up. By inaction they are admitting the SJ issue is not a big deal, just some secondary thing.

One more scripture comes to mind. In the sovereignty of God, He somethings allows/brings about division in the church. 1 Cor 11:18-19 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you. (NASB)

The word “approved” is found several others places in the NT (Rom 14:18, Rom 16:10, 2 Cor 10:18, 2 Cor 13:7, 1 Thes 2:4, 2 Tim 2:15, and James 1:12). I encourage everyone to study these scriptures, as there is a lot of meat in the word “approved.” This is a critical time in which those that are “approved” can clearly stand out from those that are not, by obeying Titus 3:10-11. This is not a time to be holding hands with those who are so seriously guilty of causing this division.

• Gail 11 months ago

One thing I do know is that Piper clearly preaches that being saved and regenerated comes first. He says at times we do give to help our neighbors but that does not save us.

5. Josh Buice 11 months ago

My comment was posted before I finished on my iPhone, so I’m going to repost here.

Tim,

As I read your article, I thought how misguided and inaccurate it is regarding the recent G3. So, I feel the need to write add clarity to the muddy waters regarding what you seem to believe about G3, the speakers, and social justice. Since I was there from start to finish and sat with these brothers over meals and walked the halls of the conference center, I think I have the ability to address these matters with accuracy.

First of all, I’ve been crystal clear as to where I stand on the matters of social justice from the beginning. I will remain clear as the conversation continues and as we continue to debate this troubling issue in our day. However, what you’ve stated here is simply a misguided understading of the facts and it misrepresents G3, me personally, and the speakers that you’ve criticized.

Neither of the three men you criticized in this article are heretics. While I disagree with their social justice positions sharply, I do believe it to be sinful to insist that they be placed in the camp of heresy. You see, we’ve nearly lost the ability in our day to make disagreements face-to-face without running to the keyboards, blogs, and social media outlets in order to retreat to our tribe for support. I don’t have a problem with public figures being criticized openly and publicly, that’s not my point. My point is that we shouldn’t run too quickly to put them in the camp of heresy. Until they are heretics, they should be treated like brothers, and sometimes brothers step across the line into troubling positions that deserve rebuke. That’s what The Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel was intended to do. And it continues to do it, both publicly and privately.

Regarding Platt, Dever, and Piper—you should be able to disagree with them without misrepresenting them. Keep in mind that Piper was the only man in the MLK50 event to actually question the validity of MLK’s conversion. No matter what you believe about Platt, you should not seek to criticize him in a childish manner. He didn’t do a crying routine and then leave. He was there for as long as he could due to his schedule. He participated in an “after hours Q&A” in the exhibit hall. As far as Dever goes, he was walking around in the conference center talking to people and available through the event.

Last of all, we held a conference on missions—not social justice. Did any of these men preach a message that was contrary to the gospel that was delivered to you in the holy Scriptures? No.

I would encourage you to be a man, speak the truth, criticize accurately, avoid childish babble, and always represent people who preach the true gospel with respect. Remember words matter and little details and small inaccuracies are important. Your article is filled with them. You can do better than this.

Your brother in Christ,

Josh Buice
    G3 Conference

• Stephen Anderson 11 months ago

1) Paul says ” mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.” (Rom 16:17 KJV)
      These men are causing divisions and offenses by bringing the divisions of the world into the Church. They are introducing unbiblical doctrines of sin, guilt, repentance and serving the world rather than Christ. Some are bringing mysticism and no longer hold firmly to Sola Scriptura. Other mix in the “wisdom of the world”.
      2) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (Gal 1:8 KJV) These men appear to be adding “social justice” to the Gospel. They need to be carefully examined and if they are and persist, then cast out of the Church and turned over to God for judgment.

So Josh, I ask you, who are you seeking to please?

• Troy Lewis 11 months ago

Josh, it was my first year at g3 from Indiana. Thanks brother it was a blessing to hear all speakers from you to Lawson. The Lord is obviously using g3 and all who were speakers so I know I wouldn’t want to say bad things about it, that’s just crazy. That’s like going against Almighty Himself and that’s a scary thought. I would say 99.99 % who know anything about it would have good things to say so stay strong brother and may the Lord bless you.

6. Wes Montgomery 11 months ago

The “despised” comment is Fred Butler’s subjective opinion.

• Fredman 11 months ago

Indeed, it is. I can only call it as I see it.

7. Chris Nelson 11 months ago

Do you have the Platt quote where he said that “he despised” being there? I couldn’t find it. I want to share this article and agree with the sentiment.

• Fredman 11 months ago

He did not say that. That was my subjective opinion. Comparing to how pretty much all the other speakers spent a considerable amount of time walking the exhibit hall during the conference and speaking with attendees and enjoying fellowship, those in the woke camp were no where to be found. It was a tad disappointing to see, actually. Wished they had taken the time to do so. Maybe despised is too strong a description, but yes, they really gave the impression as though they were uncomfortable being there.